Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Favorite Fans and Brad Sanford 5k RR







This weekend was the In the Spirit of Brad 5k. Being in the middle of marathon training and knowing that a long run is on the schedule I would not normally do a 5k. This course goes by my house twice so I have to do it. I can't justify going to Florida, D.C., Virginia Beach, Philadelphia or Arizona and not run a race that starts less than a 1/2 mile from my house. There is something to be said for the small hometown races. I love this race but hate the course. There is a ginormous hill at about 1.4 miles. This is hill is long and steep. Knowing that my kids will be sitting outside my house cheering me on both times I run by and that they will be at the finishing line is AWESOME!
The Race started at 10 am. I left my house about 9:30 and did a 1.3 mile warm-up and did some drills.




The race started and we were off. I finished Mile 1 in 6:52. This was a good first mile for me.





The second mile I ran in 8:3?- I thought my legs were going to explode. The hill hurt so bad!It took a few minutes to get my legs back once I got to the top. The final mile was 7:33 with the .1 at 6:40 pace.





I finished in 23:35. This was slower than last year....but this year I am marathon training and have not raced myself in to shape like last year. It was good enough for 4th overall women and first in my age group.









My mother and father in-law also ran. My mom place first in her age group also.












5 comments:

  1. Thanks - love reading race reports! Not a shabby 5k at all for not being 5k training :). Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job!! It always amazes me how many 5k's have hills. Common now! ha! So awesome that you got to run past your kids twice. I Love it!

    Good luck with the ongoing marathon training. You are seriously amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A course with hills really makes you appreciate the flat ones! Great job winning your age group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great race and love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great time especially since you're focusing on marathon training. Congrats to all of you!

    ReplyDelete